Friday, October 2, 2009

Momma's Meatloaf Recipe


My American Momma's Classic Meatloaf Recipe. I thought this would be a good recipe to share considering that many housewives are having to stretch the pennies just a little bit further these days. I will be cooking this tonight for my family, why not give it a try and let me know what you think. Also please let me know what changes or family recipes you have!


So here is the recipe for meatloaf:


2 pounds of ground beef

2 eggs

1/2 cup tomato paste

2 cups of cracker crumbs or instant oatmeal (put 1 1/2 cups of oatmeal or crumbs in the mixture and reserve about 1/2 cup to put on outside of meatloaf)

3/4 cup minced onion or about 1 onion

1/4 cup green pepper chopped (about 1/2 of a pepper)

1/4 cup milk

2 tablespoons horseradish (you can leave it out)

2 1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp dry mustard or about 1/4 teaspoon mustard (can leave out)

1 large can of tomato sauce and about 1/2 cup of water (don't put this in the mixture you will pour this over the meatloaf after you form the loaves) You can also use tomato juice instead.


I put all of this in a big bowl and mix it with my hands-it is messy.


Make flat oval loafs (it makes 2 of them) You can freeze one for later before you bake it or you can 1/2 the recipe. Pour over the tomato sauce. Bake at 450 degrees Fahrenheit--don't know Celsius for about 50-60 minutes covered. I usually take the lid or foil off the last 10 minutes.


There you have it- it is easy.


I usually accompany mine with peas and mashed potatoes. That combination just screams comfort food to me. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog!

    Thanks for the recipe! - Never made meatloaf before - sounds interesting! :)

    For a brief second I thought you wrote 'toothpaste' - now that would really be too bizarre!! :) lol

    PS. Google is your friend! If you google '450 F to C' it gives you the ijnfo: 450 degrees Fahrenheit = 232.222222 degrees Celsius: now if I can convince my oven to bake with this temp? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Layla, just whack it up as high as it will go! I have also experimented with cooking it in the crock pot with varying results!

    ReplyDelete